Friday, September 18, 2009

Trusting the law

We know the law, what’s right and what’s wrong. The law comes in two different forms, God’s law and man’s law. I have a good friend who often justifies things to me by saying “don’t beat your self up over man’s law”. We know God’s law in the 10 commandments from the Old Testament, which are ultimately wrapped up in 2 laws in the New Testament – Love God and love your neighbor like Jesus loves them. What happens though is that in our mind we know what the law is but our flesh desires something else. As Paul wrote “I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin” (Romans 7:25). Even Paul an apostle to Jesus Christ struggled with this. It’s hard to deny the desires of our flesh. Earlier in Romans Paul writes “For I know nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out” (Romans 7:18).

The pressure of the worldly desires of our flesh is hard for even Paul to deny. The good thing about the law is it helps keep up the guard rails in our life and keeps us from dying from sin. When sin comes, death comes “…sin came alive and I died” (Romans 7:9). For us as humans to stay alive and avoid this death we must trust that the Lord knows what’s better for us more than we do. We must trust that in every circumstance the Lord has it under control. In order for that to occur we must trust Him and allow our self to be governed by the law. If we do not allow God to rule over us we are kept in a perpetual cycle of disappointment because we think the world is all about us and not about Him. But if we realize God has got things under control and He’s working things out for His glory and our good we will end the cycle of frustration and disappointment.

God is working on making a perfect world through our redemption for a new creation. We are redeemed through Jesus and His death to take away our sin so we can live a new life; a life of joy, happiness, content, love, fellowship, worship. By believing this it causes us to act different in our relationships and how we live out our life. We can forgive those that wronged and sinned against us and we can ask forgiveness from those we sinned against. When we believe the gospel it changes the way we see things. We no longer see them in a horizontal perspective of worldly desires and selfishness but in a way of how can I glorify God in my life in selflessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment